Monday, January 20, 2014

Don't Tread On Me......Part 5......

On January 20, 2014 all of the confluences that affect my boat project life fell into harmony.....perfect temp, ideal humidity, terrific sunshine, no rain, little wind, not working for a couple days, and motivated to get a boat project done......"Lets go....we're burning daylight" I muttered to Tana's cat Tawny in my best John Wayne impression......and out the door flew I. 
The removal of ZOSHAS teak decks and applying new non-skid has almost become my life's work! I've been screwing around with this project for a year. Well, this is 2014, a new year, and my new year's resolutions are ......well, well.....Resolute!       #1- finish the decks and #2- drink more beer. That's it.....I'm a simple man. 
If any of you are interested or want to reminisce on past blog entries.....all of the teak deck project blogs are titled..
 Don't Tread On Me.....with an episode number. This is #5.

Today went well.....the entire cockpit has been stripped, cleaned, all the screw holes have been probed with a dental tool and filled with epoxy putty.............and the primer applied.....tomorrow the non-skid goes on....."come hell or high water, pilgrim".....that's John Wayne again in case some of you didn't recognize the syncopation......

Ok.....let's talk about PRIMER......the non-skid paint that I'm using requires a primer.....ok no problem.....me and Tawny make a trip over to our favorite West Marine and find the primer we need....$49 a quart!!!!! "AAH crap!", here we go again.... the short of it is about two hours later after hitting a bunch of places, Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, a couple of local hardware stores, we couldn't find what I needed. Then I pulled into the Kroger parking lot to go buy Tawny some treats and right in front of me was a Sherwin Williams Paint store......so I went in.....immediately the salesman came up and said " whatcha need Ace?" so I told him and he showed me his perfect primer......"lookit here Ace....this primer is not only good for fiberglass.....you can use it to prime ceramic tile, PVC pipe, metal, glass, and any other bad ass paint jobs....I'm tellin ya Ace you can't go wrong with this stuff."  I bought it.....$27.95 per gallon......it comes in white but they will tint it any color for you......The guy checked me out and said...."lookee here Ace...if you have any problems with this stuff, just bring it in and we'll giveya yur money back......but I'm tellin ya Ace...this stuff is fantastic. It's exactly what ya need."  I thanked the man and went out and got into my truck and headed to the marina.
The stuff went on easy, no clumping, no ultra fast flashing....it filled in small glazing cracks and tiny imperfections, had a long pot life if kept out of the sun.....it looks pretty good. 
Cleaned up with epoxy in the screwholes

Got to wash this first....
OK lets PRIME!!!
The epoxy filled screw holes show thru the primer...
the non-skid paint will take care of that....
Port side bridgedeck..............
A real non-descript label for such a killer product.....
These kids are the future for keeping sailing alive and well..

 For tomorrow, 
DTOM #6, you will see a brand spankin new NONSKID job in the cockpit of ZOSHA............until then....you guys take care....

Regards
Ace


No comments:

Post a Comment